IT - Executive
Mar 18, 2018
Under the general direction of the Chief Information Officer, the Director, Technology Services is responsible for directing and overseeing the architecture, design, implementation and support of infrastructure services and client technologies.
Infrastructure services include networks, servers, storage systems, wireless, network security platforms, and data centres. The Technology Services division is responsible for administrating and managing certain enterprise wide and departmental applications including productivity (Office 365), learning management system (Blackboard), and authentication systems. The Technology Services division provides design, implementation and third level support for client technologies including end point computing and audio/visual technologies for classrooms and meeting spaces.
- The Director develops strong relationships with key clients and leads a team of professionals to design, acquire and implement technology solutions to meet the business requirements of clients.
- They will also ensure that strong external relationships are developed and maintained with key partners to support ongoing services and delivery. The Director will develop and cultivate relationships with higher education institutions and networks with the goal of contributing to the broader community and to ensure that the client is a recognized contributor and leader in the field.
The Director is responsible for two key projects that are in progress:
- Transition to cloud infrastructure and platform services through a public procurement process, change and implementation plans.
- The development of a data centre at the Lakeshore campus to enhance disaster recovery capabilities.
- Develop, maintain and support infrastructure and client technology services, including:
- Campus networks, servers, storage systems, wireless, network security platforms, unified communication platform and data centres.
- Data backup services.
- Enterprise wide applications including Microsoft Office 365, directory, web hosting services, authentication systems and Blackboard learning management system.
- Departmental applications used by academic and non-academic departments.
- Endpoint computing for academic (classrooms, academic labs and computer labs) and non-academic areas.
- Audio/visual systems design, implementation and third level support for classrooms and meeting spaces.
- Lead the development and application of cloud infrastructure and platform services including:
- Lead the public procurement process (underway) to select a cloud provider for infrastructure and platform services.
- Develop and begin implementation of a change plan for the Technology Services division to adopt and utilize cloud services.
- Develop an implementation plan and timeline for cloud services
- Monitor and assess the development of technology trends, practices and innovations in technology and key vendor roadmaps
- Provide strategic guidance in the development of innovative solutions for business needs, strategic plan alignment, higher education industry trends and roadmaps for key partners.
- Make recommendations that are aligned with business objectives and reflected in institutional and divisional strategic and business plans.
- Leverage technology to drive adoption of innovative and efficient solutions to support business requirements.
- Develop long range plans to ensure that services will meet the needs of the community and are delivered efficiently.
- Work with business clients and colleagues within Information Technology Services to collect, clarify and translate business requirements into documentation and conceptual designs which result in applications and solutions that are developed or acquired.
- Work with clients to elicit, analyze, translate and document business requirements in a manner that can be translated into technical requirements. Facilitate discussions with clients to elicit and anticipate business requirements and processes including user acceptance testing.
- Manage projects through the project lifecycle in collaboration with the Project Management Office and using the Project Management Methodology. Coordinate activities with project managers and the Project Management Office to ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and develop the Technology Services team ensuring a client focus and innovative approach to service delivery.
- Recruit and retain talent.
- Manage service delivery leveraging a service lifecycle methodology including performance measurement and continuous improvement.
- Evaluate and manage risk with the design and delivery of services. Work with the IT Security department of ITS to ensure services are designed, implemented and operated securely.
- Manage financial resources for projects and operations including the preparation of budgets.
- Minimum of ten (10) years progressive management experience (five at a senior level).
- Director of Technology Services
- The minimum education required for the position is an undergraduate degree in a related discipline. A graduate degree is the preferred qualification of candidates.
- Preferred candidates will have formal training in PMBOK project management framework, SDLC frameworks and ITIL service management framework.
- Comprehensive understanding as to how to relate technology solutions to business problems
- Strong interpersonal skills, political acumen and outstanding communication skills. A demonstrated ability to communicate, manage expectations and build relationships at various levels with internal and external stakeholders.
- Innovator with a high energy level.
- An established change agent facilitating the transformation of technology services delivery.
- Experience managing a multi-million-dollar project budget with a proven track record for delivering on-time and on-budget.
- Superior process orientation and project management capabilities.
- A recognized leader who develops, inspires, and instills a customer-first culture and attitude.
- Demonstrated creativity in analyzing and solving advanced problems.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a dynamic, high pressure and fast-paced environment while delivering high quality work and meeting deadlines.
- A high-energy, innovative, self-starter with a strong sense of ownership, urgency, accountability and results orientation.
- Experience working for/with a higher education institute is an asset.